Today we gave it a run on petrol, with our newly designed auto-start system. It just had the basic functionality of turning the generator on when electricity from mains cut off, and turns off the generator when electricity from the mains resumed.
Its a ''Matari MG5500E'', which is a 3.5KV gasoline (Petrol) generator. Its has manual as well as self-start option for starting. The choke is not auto-controlled, so we have to use a plunger or stepper to control the choke at a later stage for its autonomous auto-start operation.
As for now, it runs on petrol only, but soon we will be installing a natural-gas kit to it so that it could run on both fuels.
Since I will be testing our ATS system on a 3.5Kv generator, thus max ampere rating of this generator will be ~15Amperes. So I will be using 30A-heavy duty relays (like those found in a common UPS).
I have successfully tested operation of these relays on breadboard. Now i will soon be inserting them in a veroboard for further trials, until we make a final PCB of the whole circuit near the end of my project.
I have designed and tested a sensing module on a breadboard that could inform the microcontroller that if main 220V-50Hz electricity source (i.e. from WAPDA) is available or not.
Next I designed, etched and developed a PCB and enclosed that PCB in a regular adapter casing for insulation and protection.
After successful testing of RTC (DS-1307) on bread board, I designed, etched and constructed a PCB that had a pocket for backup cell (CR-2032 [3v] ) so that it could hold time and calender even when the power of the reset of the circuit was cut-off.
Next I programmed the microcontroller (AT89S52) to send the same sequence of 'at-commands' through serial port. I verified via 'hyperterminal' that the microcontroller was sending those at commands in exact order, with proper delay. This part was really tough. It took me and my group-mate several nights to accomplish.
It was the time for us to make a cable to connect mobile directly with the microcontroller, so we made a serial male-female cable with tx-rx pins in cross.
After a lot of hardware debugging we were able to successfully communicate mobile with the microcontroller.